[Gllug] DD Ext3 Move

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Apr 15 11:25:03 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 12:14:05AM +0100, Russell Howe wrote:
> What should be done in this case is preallocation - tell the kernel
> "This file I'm writing is going to be about x bytes. Please reserve me
> some space". Again, there's an XFS-specific ioctl for this
> (XFS_PREALLOC, as it's known). To my knowledge, BT doesn't take
> advantage of this ioctl when it detects it's writing to an XFS FS.

Totally OT, but OS-9[1] had this sort of preallocation.  Their
equivalent of creat(2) took an extra parameter to specify the expected
size of the file.  IIRC it was to do with avoiding fragmentation,
pretty important for a hard Real Time OS.

Rich.

[1] That's the original Microware OS-9, nothing to do with Macs.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk