[Gllug] How does Linux cope with Wireless internet?

Alex McMahon alex.mcmahon at lycos.co.uk
Wed Apr 26 11:03:11 UTC 2006

Sorry about the HTML, webmail loves sending in HTML, hopefully this will be sent plain text!!

----

Hello all,

I am looking into setting up a network and am considering wireless networks. However I have never used wireless networks with Linux. If I buy a PCI wireless network card will it recognise it straight away? Would it be more difficult than standard wired ethernet?

Setup:
1 computer (windows) in the office, near ADSL point
5 computers (Edubuntu) in another room

Don't really want to drill holes to lay network cables so have come up with the plan of:

office computer connected to ADSL+Switch+wireless (all in one device)
5 computers connected to 8 port switch (using wires), then connected to wireless access point in other room.
2 rooms communicate wirelessly, everything else is wired.

See http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/5623/networkdesign1pw.gif
for network design image

Is this a bad idea? Any suggestions for a better layout?

Regards
Alex McMahon

Lycos iQ - show what you knoW: iq.lycos.co.uk