[Gllug] Re: Asterisk

David Abbishaw david at abbishaw.com
Tue Apr 4 16:14:08 UTC 2006

>Message: 1
>Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:55:21 +0000
>From: SteveC <steve at asklater.com>
>Subject: [Gllug] Asterisk
>To: gllug at gllug.org.uk
>
>Hi
>
>I have a modem or two that once upon a time were known to run in linux, so I think they don't need binary >>drivers.
>
>I'd like to install one in my machine and connect it to the phone and have it email me whenever I get a >message or a fax.

>Googling around this seems either non-trivial or buy-some-shareware. Is there any way I can apt-get install >something and it'll JustWork? I have nightmares from the last time I touched vgetty.
>
>have fun,
>
>SteveC steve at asklater.com http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Hi Steve,

I use asterisk as an answering machine mainly, this uses an X100p clone card that I bought for about £15.  When a call comes in if its not answered withing about 25 seconds asterisk takes a messages and emailes a wav file to a distribution list so that the house hold gets the message at various email addresses (home and work etc),  I've also been able to patch it so that the message includes caller ID, although you will need the caller ID service from BT.  This also then gets logged to a csv for later reporting.

Doesn't need a beefy machine P400 is plenty.

Regards
David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk