[Gllug] Firewire or USB

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 20:20:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

I recently bought a Western Digital "Media Center" - an external HDD
that also has a USB card-reader built-in. The disk itself can use either
a USB or Firewire interface and the manual tells me that if I have a
Firewire socket on my PC I should use both cables - the drive will
default to using the Firewire cable and the card-reader requires the USB
one.

In fact I think it must be the Windows and Mac drivers that give
precedence to the Firewire connection because when I tried this today
(I've just installed a USB2/Firewire combo card because I only had
USB1.1 before) the logs told me that the USB interface was being used.

Really I'd prefer not to have to keep disconnecting the USB cable when I
boot - how can I configure udev and/or modprobe or whatever I need to
use the Firewire interface and also not try to use the USB one in case
another USB mass-storage device is plugged-in?

Cheers,

Richard
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."