[Gllug] Time for new mobo - server for thin clients at home?

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Fri Apr 7 12:22:11 UTC 2006

Time for a new mobo methinks, old 800mhz one is getting a bit stifled
and can't get enough old style ram into it to be cost effective.

We also have increasing "terminal demands" from growing kids. So rather
than buy another PC or two, I think I'd like to try the networked thin
terminal approach, using old PCs as a base to hang a decent LCD screen
off downstairs in the kitchen and a seperate one in the study so we can
have 3 people on at once.

Also thinking of a Myth TV server...

And an IMAP mail server (which I've been meaning to set up at home for
YEARS).

Now, can all this be done from a single PC?

Does X-windows transmit down a 100 network OK or should I go to gigabit
(I laid in gigabit cabling when doing up the house) yet (i.e. replace
network cards)?

What sort of motherboard should I get? Budget is an issue here, so cost
effectiveness for a few years is the issue. Got lots of cases and a pair
of 250gb sata disks and a couple of 80gb disks etc.

What spec do the terminals need to be to give decent performance?

What video card should I put in those?

Assume total ignorance! I'm a luser not a tekkie!

"When the multitude detests a man, inquiry is necessary; when the
multitude likes a man, inquiry is equally necessary."
Confucius, Analects (circa 6th century BC)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk