[Gllug] Re: How to setup mysql for mythtv

Emon contact_emon at gawab.com
Tue Apr 11 19:37:31 UTC 2006

Simon Morris wrote:

> Emon - Totally forgetting about MythTV for a moment..
>
> 1. What do you get from `pgrep mysql`

"chown -R mysql /var/lib/mysql" did the trick!! It was mentioned in the
Slackware startup script for mysql (I know...; should have looked more
carefully before complaining :) ...sorry about that)

Looks like mysql starts successfully during bootup

When I do "pstree -p"; this is a small part of what I see

         |-lisa(4256)
         |-mysqld_safe(3927)---mysqld(3951)
         |-nmbd(3955)

> 2. What happens when you type `mysql` in the shell as root
> You should get something like this...
>
> -----
> simon.morris at cmt02mirror01:~> mysql
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 83633 to server version: 4.1.13
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>
> mysql>
> -----

I think something is wrong over here.....

********************
root at magic-box:/home/jadukor# mysql
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: NO)
root at magic-box:/home/jadukor#
********************

But then again this seems to work fine...

*******************
root at magic-box:/home/jadukor# su - mysql

mysql at magic-box:~$ mysql
Your MySQL connection id is 122 to server version: 4.1.14

mysql>

> No point worrying about the errors from the MythTV side of things
> until you know MySQL is running correctly.

Couldn't agree more :)

So.. does this mean mysql is running ok??? & I can start nagging about
mythtv :)

Thanks again
Emon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk