[Gllug] OT: unix on windows

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 22:19:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 05:49:55PM +0100, Steve Nelson wrote:
> On 4/17/06, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
> > Ben Fitzgerald wrote:

> > Cygwin can do the exact same thing as hummingbird but for free.
>
> Indeed.  However, my experience of the kinds of place where corporate
> windows machines are imposed on staff suggests that the IT departments
> are generally skeptical about Cygwin, as something they can't or won't
> support.  Hummingbird is seen as a professional, supported/supportable
> product, and so is a safe bet.  That said, I think Ben had originally
> said he'd put Cygwin on his machine already, so this may be a good
> option!

well, thanks for all the suggestions. I've installed cygwin/x and it's
not bad. will get me out of a tight spot when I need to run an X client
locally. Thank goodness I don't have to use reflectionsX - now that was
painful!

On a side note: I got hold of window's "tweakui" as you can supposedly
turn on X like focus behaviour, however it didn't work as hoped.
When hovering over a window in the background it always brings it to the
foreground rather than just changing focus. I guess this is because
windows only really has foreground / not in foreground for it's focus
model. Never mind, the rest is useful!

Thanks,

Ben.

--