[Gllug] Stop apt-get fretting about packages installed by force

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 17 22:42:26 UTC 2006

A recent dist-upgrade led to the emacs package I use being removed
because it depends on the wrong version of libc6. So I used "dpkg
--force-depends" to reinstall it and have had no problems with emacs.
Installing new packages with apt-get, however, just gets me:

        You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these.
        The following packages have unmet dependencies.
          emacs-multi-tty-bin-common: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but
        2.3.6-0ubuntu17 is installed
          emacs-multi-tty-nox: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but
        2.3.6-0ubuntu17 is installed

Is there any way to tell apt-get to just f...forget about those two
packages?

Hope you all had a happy Easter,
Tom SW

Switch an email account to Yahoo! Mail, you could win FIFA World Cup tickets. http://uk.mail.yahoo.com