[Gllug] Time for new mobo - server for thin clients at home?

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Sat Apr 8 12:45:37 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 12:42 +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
> but if your only talking
> about a client or two you should not have any problems we have more
> like 10 clients running 24x7 and no problems.

Only 4 of us, and the occassional friend or two playing alongside, and
heaps of P500 level machines with small disks and ca 384-500mb ram.

So little load at any one time, just a scattering of terminals between
his and her study, kids play/sitting room, kitchen diner, and a laptop
or two in the future (the idea being to find a second hand laptop with
good screen but limited guts and run that wirelessly). Probably
something in living room and bedroom as myth TV/radio terminal to ditch
collection of wearing out video players etc.

The idea is to cut costs and put available resources into one more top
end box with faster processor and goodly ram.

IF THAT logic holds!

Does it???

Main problem is demand for games that run under windows. I don't suppose
there is any way to export windows from a central server is there to run
PC games? Or perhaps I'll just have to settle for another capable box
somewhere as a games platform, but I'm trying to avoid the cost...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk