[Gllug] Request for Help with Community Project - Installing and Supporting Edubuntu (Linux) in Youth Centre

Tom Haddon mthaddon at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 15:10:07 UTC 2006

Hi Alex,

Not sure if you're looking for replies on-list or off-list... I'd be
happy to help out, although I'm not sure I could make a firm commitment
to be available (being as I'm employed full time). Please feel free to
email me directly anytime you have any issues, and I'll let you know if
I'm available/think I can help.

I'm sure there are many people on this list who would be in a similar
situation - this is where we all come for support on issues we're
having, and if nothing else I'm sure you can always post any issues to
this list and be sure to get a response from someone pretty quickly.

Canonical does offer support of their own (the makers of Edubuntu), but
I'm not sure if you've already priced that out and found it to be too
expensive (I'm not even sure if it's free support or not). I know it may
be a little unorthodox versus traditional support, but there is an IRC
channel (irc.freenode.org #edubuntu) which may be of use as well.

Thanks, Tom

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 14:22 +0000, Alex McMahon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please forgive me if it is poor etiquette to use this mailing list for requests for help, but it was suggested that someone on the list might be able to help with a community based project I am working on.
>
> I am working as part of a group who are setting up an 'internet room' in Putney Vale Youth Centre (London). We have 5 computers which we will be installing Edubuntu onto. However we are concerned that without a small amount of ongoing support the computers will gradually become outdated, degrade or stop working. We have a minimal level of funding, which we are considering using to pay for some basic telephone support, however after ringing around it seems the funds are too minimal to be able to afford any real level of support.
>
> I am therefore requesting whether anyone here would be able to help the project in anyway. I do not foresee the required support being particularly high or regular, perhaps just responding to an occasional telephone call or maybe once a month popping round to update the machines with the latest versions of the software and fixing any problems that have arisen.  If you can help yourself, or have any suggestions as to places I could look I would be happy to hear from you. I have included further details of the project below.
>
> Regards
> Alex McMahon
>

> Hello I am working as part of a group of volunteers on a community project to setup a computer room for the children at Putney Vale Youth Centre (Reg charity no: 284925). The youth Centre is based in the Roehampton ward of Wandsworth which is a borough where the average GCSE results fall significantly below the national average and has a higher proportion of school age children than the national average. This is quite a poor area of London and many of the children have few places to play and don’t have access to computers or the internet other than at school.
>
> The youth centre is currently run by one lady, who has three enthusiastic local children under sixteen years of age who also volunteer at the centre. This youth centre caters for children between the ages of five and sixteen and is used by children all over the local authority area.
>
> The local council have donated 5 computers without any operating systems installed, after some deliberation we are considering installing Edubuntu onto the 5 computers, as we were very impressed by the ease of use and included packages. One reservation is whether we would be able to arrange for support for a Linux OS (a local university offered some free support if we had chosen Windows); we have a small amount of funding which we are considering using to pay for support for the Edubuntu installations.

> [...]

You could live a better life, if you had a better mind and a better body.

Random quotes brought to you by fortune.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk