[Gllug] XFS_repair cannot find master or secondary superblocks

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 21:31:29 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 04:11:12PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> You need multiple offsite locations. The bigger places can probably do this
> easily, but the smaller ones... what do they do? Have people take backups
> home with them?

(apologies for the reply to an old thread)

Erm, we do exactly that. Nightly full backups onto two LTO tapes
(different data on each tape, not a duplicate copy). One person takes
one tape, another person takes the other tape.

I personally try to ensure that there is always at least one recent tape
at home at all times.

Tape rotation is such that we can go back around 6 months, although the
further back you go, the sparser the options are for backip dates to
restore from (daily backups for the past week, then weekly backups up to
4 weeks ago, then monthly backups from thereon).

I'm undecided as to whether or not to keep one of the monthly tapes
read-only every 6 months so that we could go back further. We seem to
change the format of media every 3 years or so, which has its own
problems (if you have the tape, but no hardware to read it, restoring
from the backup could be time consuming and costly)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk