[Gllug] Maybe this is a FAQ

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 14:50:23 UTC 2006

On 4/16/06, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> But i suppose it would be as you say - mainly static, maybe some
> database driven content, but nothing too fancy.

Hard to say without knowing what the numbers look like, and how
resilient it needs to be.  I would consider separate machines for
firewall/ids, web and db.  If you wanted to increase resilience
further, look to double up so as not to have SPFs.  This could get
expensive in terms of space in a rack, though.  For the database you'd
probably want to have at least RAID 5 if not 1+0, so unless you also
bought external storage, most 1U machines are out of the question.
Sticking with  slightly older brand kit, maybe two dl360s and one
dl380 would do?  You'd also need to investigate switches, depending on
what colo provider can do for you.  Hope this is of some use - it may,
of course, be overkill.  My standard sort of spec for a small
non-redundant system would be to use a shared firewall that's already
in place, and two 380s.  Entry-level redundant solution would be two
firewalls, shared load-balancing solution, two web servers and a
database cluster.

Good luck.

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk