[Gllug] CD Rom oddness

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sun Apr 2 16:44:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 04:55:48PM +0100, Adrian wrote:
> All this stuff about cdrecord prompts me to ask this.
>
> I have a daily backup script which suddenly stopped working about a week
> ago and I've just been bothered today to see why.
>
> having done cdrecord -scanbus originally I saw that the usb plug in cdr
> drive was on scsi bus 2. Now it's migrated to scsi bus 4.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that I plugged it in and out a few
> times when I was messing about with the printer so the usb connection
> number would have changed.

Could be.  Are you using devfs or udev?  If you're using udev, you can
add a custom rule to create a unique name for that device so that it
always loads with the same name no matter how often you connect and
disconnect it.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"