[Gllug] Strange problem loading freshly compiled kernel module

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Apr 8 16:10:19 UTC 2006

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006, John Winters stated:
> Then I took the V4L drivers and did a "make distclean", "make" and "make
> install".  The drivers compiled and installed without complaint, but...
[...]
> I've done a bit of research about what the "disagrees about version of
> symbol" message is trying to say and it seems (I'm open to correction
> here) that it means that the module loader thinks the module which I'm
> trying to load was compiled for a different kernel.  And yet it seems to
> match exactly.  "uname -a" returns:

Were the CFLAGS and compiler used the same? Is v4l using the kbuild
framework? (If it's not, then it can easily get the flags wrong, whereupon
the vermagic will differ and the module load fail.)

--
`On a scale of 1-10, X's "brokenness rating" is 1.1, but that's only
 because bringing Windows into the picture rescaled "brokenness" by
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk