[Gllug] cdrom writing

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sun Apr 2 16:42:03 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 04:55:12PM +0100, Peter wrote:
> On 02/04/06, Peter Childs <peterachilds at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > That message is quite clear.  It is trying to connect to the CD device
> > > by a name that does not exist in your /dev/ directory.  Either you do
> > > not have the correct modules loaded or you have not configured cdrecord
> > > to be using the correct device.
> > >

> ide-cd is loaded cdrecord says cdrom cdrom points to hdc which works
> fine as my cdrom drive.
>
> The point is that cdrecord don't like ide but the kernal people say to
> use ide now and this is better that scsi and its bascally as bigger
> mess as windows

Bollocks, you just haven't read the documentation properly.  Have a look
in /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup, in the section about 2.6
kernels.  You should be able to find out what name cdrecord needs to be
given to access your cdrom by running "cdrecord dev=ATA: -scanbus".
Then you can configure cdrecord properly by setting the CDR_DEVICE line
in /etc/cdrecord/cdrecord to "CDR_DEVICE=ATA:n,n,n" where n,n,n is the
device indicator returned by the previous command.

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick