[Gllug] cdrom writing

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 17:41:05 UTC 2006

On 02/04/06, Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at uklinux.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 04:55:12PM +0100, Peter wrote:

> > ide-cd is loaded cdrecord says cdrom cdrom points to hdc which works
> > fine as my cdrom drive.
> >
> > The point is that cdrecord don't like ide but the kernal people say to
> > use ide now and this is better that scsi and its bascally as bigger
> > mess as windows
>
> Bollocks, you just haven't read the documentation properly.  Have a look
> in /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup, in the section about 2.6
> kernels.  You should be able to find out what name cdrecord needs to be
> given to access your cdrom by running "cdrecord dev=ATA: -scanbus".
> Then you can configure cdrecord properly by setting the CDR_DEVICE line
> in /etc/cdrecord/cdrecord to "CDR_DEVICE=ATA:n,n,n" where n,n,n is the
> device indicator returned by the previous command.

<flame>
THAT ACHIEVES NOTHING AS THIS DOES NOT ENCOURAGE BEGINNERS PART OF THE
REASON A LUG EXISTS TO TO ENCOURAGE BEGINNERS AND YOU ARE CURRENTLY
DISCOURAGING THEM. NOT EVERYONE IS AN EXPERT AND DOES NOT KNOW WHERE
TO LOOK!!!!

I my self had used google rather than looking deep in the file system
of debian where it had been hidden and only hit out of date docs my
other background Reading of modern cdrom writing under linux and
personal previous experience had never come up with this before.

In short maybe I did look in the wrong place but I look at what I
could find, and that did not give me an answer that a made sense or b
was any use to a computer that froze!

If your going to be like that Computers will only ever be used by
experts and the man in the street will continue to use a pen and
paper, now where is that pen I think I spouse I've just got to work
out how it works again :)

</flame>

Sorry for the flame but this attitude also annoyed me at only gllug
meeting I've ever been to and I don't think it helps the linux
community on iota.

Peter

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk