[Gllug] Asterisk

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 10:44:00 UTC 2006

On 04/04/06, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 15:29 +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
> [snip]
> > Hmm what would I need then to run 44 lines and about the same number
> > of IP phones then.... Thinking of setting up just such one system, (If
> > its possible and reliable)
>
> Presumably you don't mean you've actually got 44 POTS lines which you
> want to terminate in Asterisk - or do you?  If you do then I suppose a
> couple of TDM2400P (24 lines each) would do it, but it's not the normal
> way of getting 44 lines into an exchange.  An ISDN PRI gives you about
> 30 circuits IIRC, which would seem more logical.

Unknown knowing my luck we have 44 POTS but I would need to check. I'm
not a phone engineer and I don't know the spec but we are currently
running STS supercall oh and it calls apart completely if every phone
line gets a call at once. I can certainly find you more than enough
phone cables for 44 POTS lines but then each line is fed into 4
different systems (Datavoice, STS, Old STS, and Caller ID)

> If they aren't existing lines, then why bother with conventional
> telephony at all?  Get 44 numbers allocated by a VoIP provider and a
> couple of ADSL connections (2 for redundancy) to bring them in over
> IAX2.  Actually, you might need more than 2, depending on how many
> simultaneous calls were needed and what upload speed your ADSL provides.

Yes they are existing phone lines, but then I would expect to need a
bit more bandwidth than ADSL. SDSL sounds more like it If we were to
take that route.

> 44 IP phones would happily connect to one LAN, but you'd need to do some
> careful specification of your server.  The Asterisk book gives some
> basic guidelines, but for a system that size I'd get in an expert.
> Adrian Kennard at Andrews and Arnold (http://aa.nu) is a telecoms man
> and A&A now do VoIP provisioning.
>
> I'm no Asterisk expert, but from my experience so far it certainly seems
> to be reliable and you can do some very amusing things with it.  (Pop-up
> giving caller-id on your TV screen if the phone rings whilst you're
> watching MythTV anyone?)

In short perfectly doable but since I've downloaded 3 asterisks at
home CDs none of which work. I did also spot a 120 line asterisks
server on E-Bay yesterday But it seams good in concept but the problem
is going to be getting it to work....

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk