[Gllug] OT: unix on windows

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 20:29:44 UTC 2006

On 14/04/06, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:18:46AM +0100, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> > I just started a new job where the corporate PC runs windows only (plus
> > this is my first experience with lotus notes but let's not go there!).
> Lotus Notes -- what a piece of crap.  I couldn't believe it when
> someone showed me it running a few years ago.  What was going on with
> the ugly non-standard UI?  The mail client looked and behaved like a
> child had written it as a first BASIC project.

I'm not sure I agree with you there. Earlier versions of Notes weren't
so aesthetically pleasing but versions since 6 look nice enough.

As a collaboration platform I think it is actually very good. All of
the large companies I have worked for have chosen from Exchange,
Domino or Groupwise, and of these three Notes/Domino makes for a nice
combination.

Domino can do a lot of things that Exchange can't do (Mail file
replication, synchronisation, one file per user rather than a huge
store for the whole server, custom agents, debugging) and Groupwise is
just horrid.

I've seen less catastrophic incidents with Domino systems than with
Exchange systems.

Plus there is one client for both Windows and Mac (and soon Linux) and
the server runs on multiple OS's.

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com