[Gllug] OT - chip & pin

Benedikt Heinen gllug at ml.icemark.net
Mon Apr 3 11:03:04 UTC 2006

> I have to admit that I believe the notion of a simple 4-digit number as a
> means of security is somewhat flawed.  A random number of characters using
> a 'old style telephone' keypad with letters on each numeric key would seem
> much better, since users could then use a more-easily remembered word as a
> PIN  !

What I found more worrying, is that apparently you don't need to have the
full/correct PIN to decrypt all important data from the card. When I lived
in Switzerland a few years back I also got a swiss EC card (which had a 6
digit code on it). The first time I went back home to Germany (where, like
here, 4 digit codes are the norm), I tried to withdraw money from a cash
machine, but (inadvertently) entered a wrong last digit for the pin -
nevertheless, the machine let me withdraw money from my account. I tried
it again to see where the problem was - and apparently, the machine
correctly waited for 6 digits to be entered - but only checked the first
4!

I would have assumed, that the banks / credit card companies would have
opted for a scheme, where the pin code is part of the en-/decryption code
for the card data - so that without the proper code, you can't read the
correct data on the card... :-(

Benedikt

   ALLIANCE, n.  In international politics, the union of two thieves who
     have their hands so deeply inserted in each other's pockets that
     they cannot separately plunder a third.
 			(Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk