[Gllug] Packet capturing SSL connections

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Apr 19 13:02:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:15:34AM +0100, Simon Morris wrote:
> I'm trying to debug a misbehaving web application and I suspect I'll
> see the answer if look at an ethereal packet trace of the HTTP data.
>
> Of course the connection is run over SSL so when I checked the packet
> trace I couldn't see much :)
>
> Does anyone know of a utility or maybe a firefox extension that would
> allow me to peek into the SSL tunnel?

Can you use stunnel on the client side, and connect to it from Firefox
using http://localhost:<high-numbered-port>/ ?  This would allow
you to sniff loopback using ethereal and see the unencrypted data.

This won't work for all web applications, particularly if the web
server can't be persuaded to serve pages to a client sending 'Host:
localhost', or if the web application sends redirects to its real
address, but it might be worth a go.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.