[Gllug] 4G Memory Restriction

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 10:38:20 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Tet <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course, these days, AMD have now made the decision simple -- just
> go straight to 64 bits. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 pounds.
> Anything else just doesn't make sense in today's world.

Right - so supposing I am running on 64 bit architecture (for example
I've just built some rhel 3 and 4 machines on DL585s which use
Opterons).  I've got 32 bit kernel and userland on this machine.  As
per Anthony, the width of the bus is the restricting factor, but
because  I don't have 64 bit tools am I still in the same situation of
only being able to address half of that?

This is where it gets confusing for me!

> Tet

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk