[Gllug] Small form factor cases

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 21:10:37 UTC 2006

On Fri 25 Aug, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> I'd like to get hold of a small case to build a home NAS device. I was
> thinking in terms of a Mini-ITX board, with the ability to boot from a
> Compact flash card so I can put a small OS image on that, and not need
> to use any of the hard disks for the system. Catch is I'd like a small
> case that provides 3 or preferably 4 exposed 5.25" drive bays. The
> closest I've found is the Morex Venus 669 - you can see it half way down
> this page - http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=3.
>
> Does any such beast exist? I'm willing to consider other form factor
> motherboards, but I'm looking for something I can put a minimum of 4
> hard disks in, and sit in a corner, so it has to be quiet as well. I'm
> considering these hot swap bays:-
>
> http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=110_136&products_id=1023
>
> So I could get 6 hot swap disks in a case if I could find one with 4
> exposed 5.25" bays, which could give me up to about 3 Tb of highly
> redundant storage.
>
> Any ideas appreciated....
>
> Mike

   Cases are normally supplied complete with a PSU suitable for the intended
use. A case built to take several drives and keep them cool should come with
a PSU capable of handling the drives, motherboard, processor, extra cards,
etc, and have additional fans (or space to install them).
   The best way to increase airflow without the noise is to install a larger
fan, not increase the speed of a smaller fan. Some cases have a very large
fan in the side panel. You should also gain from increaswd reliability.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk