[Gllug] [ANNOUCEMENT] 16th Sept - Software Freedom Day 2006

Simon Morris sm at beerandspeech.org
Fri Aug 25 22:11:29 UTC 2006

Hello,

On Saturday 16th September we have a GLLUG meeting starting at 1200.

This meeting is the London celebration of Software Freedom Day. SFD is
an annual event that takes place in hundreds of locations across the
globe. The event celebrates Free Software and our digital freedom.

We will be meeting in the south-eastern corner of Regents Park where
the Outer Circle meets Park Square East.

There is a map of our meeting location here: http://tinyurl.com/l96x7

After meeting we will walk along the Euston Road and Tottenham Court
Road handing out leaflets and speading the good word to the London
public.

At 1300 we will start our monthly technical meeting at the New
Cavendish Street campus of Westminster University. This is in the
shadow of the BT Tower, the nearest tube
stations are Great Portland Street, Warren Street and Goodge Street.

You will find a map at:

http://gllug.org.uk/uploads/wmin-campus.pdf

NOTE: you will need to sign in at the front desk to gain access to the
building. More information is available on our website
http://www.gllug.org.uk

This event is FREE to members and non-members alike. We have 3 speakers
confirmed so far for the meeting.

Malcolm Yates works for Canonical and will be speaking about the Ubuntu project

Jim Bailey is a member of GLLUG and will be speaking on How to install
and use the Wordpress weblog application. This talk is aimed at novice
to intermediate users of GNU/Linux so if you've never been to a GLLUG
meeting before in fear of being overwhelmed with the technical content
this one is for you.

Simon Morris will be speaking on using encrypted filesystems to secure
the contents of USB memory sticks.

I am waiting for a few more speakers to confirm before announcing them
but this should be a good meeting!

Hope to see you there.

--
~sm