[Gllug] Monolith - muddying the waters of the digital copyright debate

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Aug 30 20:08:51 UTC 2006

This is an interesting project - sounds plausible, but at the same time
it sounds too good to be true - and if something sounds too good to be
true, it usually is...

  http://monolith.sourceforge.net/

 "Monolith is a simple tool that takes two arbitrary binary files
  (called a Basis file and an Element file) and "munges" them together
  to produce a Mono binary file (with a .mono extension). Monolith
  can also reconstruct an Element file from a Basis file and a Mono
  file.

  In most cases, the resulting Mono file will not be statistically
  related to either file. If you compare the Mono file to the Element
  file, the Mono file will contain none of the information present in
  the Element file. In other words, the Mono file by itself tells you
  nothing at all about the data in the Element file. Only when combined
  with the Basis file will the Mono file provide information about the
  Element file.

  Things get interesting when you apply Monolith to copyrighted files.
  For example, munging two copyrighted files will produce a completely
  new file that, in most cases, contains no information from either file.
  In other words, the resulting Mono file is not "owned" by the original
  copyright holders

  The binary data in a Mono file cannot be directly interpreted to produce
  a presentation of the copyrighted content, so they cannot be seen as
  representational at all. Mono files take the data a step beyond any
  explicit representations, and I claim that this step goes far enough
  to leave copyright behind."

So could I digitize & munge my entire music collection with the text of
the Bible, and then publish the munged files online[1]. Or is there some
flaw in this reasoning which means I'll be sued out of existance ?

Dan.

[1] Note to any music industry lawyers listening in - I'm asking
    hypothetically - I'm not actually going to do so - so go away!