[Gllug] Persuading Etch to use the right (configured) paper size

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Aug 5 19:32:10 UTC 2006

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006, John Winters uttered the following:
> If I choose the "CUPS/" ones then the paper size always defaults to
> "Letter" instead of the configured "A4" and I have to remember to change
> it before I hit print.
>
> Other applications which use the pure Gnome print dialogue (e.g.
> Evolution or the PDF viewer) list the printers only once, but still
> default to Letter size paper.
>
> Anyone any idea where this bad setting is stored?  Or indeed, what
> package is responsible for this component so I can report it as a bug in
> Etch?

For CUPS, it's saved *in the PPD files*. (Yes, this is somewhat barmy,
but then CUPS already contains PPD parsers and generators, so why not?)

The CUPS web interface (at least as of CUPS 1.2) lets you adjust this;
however, this changed a lot in 1.2, and I can't remember how you do it
in 1.1 :(

--
`We're sysadmins. We deal with the inconceivable so often I can clearly
 see the need to define levels of inconceivability.' --- Rik Steenwinkel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk