[Gllug] Persuading Etch to use the right (configured) paper size

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Aug 6 08:39:47 UTC 2006

Nix wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Aug 2006, John Winters uttered the following:
>> If I choose the "CUPS/" ones then the paper size always defaults to
>> "Letter" instead of the configured "A4" and I have to remember to change
>> it before I hit print.
>>
>> Other applications which use the pure Gnome print dialogue (e.g.
>> Evolution or the PDF viewer) list the printers only once, but still
>> default to Letter size paper.
>>
>> Anyone any idea where this bad setting is stored?  Or indeed, what
>> package is responsible for this component so I can report it as a bug in
>> Etch?
>
> For CUPS, it's saved *in the PPD files*. (Yes, this is somewhat barmy,
> but then CUPS already contains PPD parsers and generators, so why not?)
>
> The CUPS web interface (at least as of CUPS 1.2) lets you adjust this;
> however, this changed a lot in 1.2, and I can't remember how you do it
> in 1.1 :(

The problem isn't CUPS - CUPS has the printers configured correctly and
clients running on Sarge get the paper size right.

The problem is that Gnome-based clients running on Etch workstations
seem to ignore the CUPS-configured paper size, and the paper size set in
/etc/papersize, and use Letter instead.  It's irritating.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk