[Gllug] OT - Windows backup problem.

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Thu Aug 24 18:58:45 UTC 2006

Ian Northeast wrote:

> paul at ma1.se wrote:
>
>> I too don't have a working Windows install to hand (well only XP home
>> which has no backup facility).
>

> Does it not? I'm told by a colleague who uses XP at home that it (not
> sure if he has home or professional) has a backup facility but it isn't
> installed by default and is quite hard to find on the CD. As a
> professional he knows the value of backups and took the trouble to hunt
> it out, I wonder how many people bother.

Ian

You are quite right. With XP Home you can install from the CD ROM by
going to Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP and installing Ntbackup.msi

Why M$ hide it away from XP Home users I don't know, but seeing as I run
XP on a Linux machine running VMWare Workstation its just easier to
backup the disk "image."

Anyway isn't that how Windows ought to be run, as a VM under Linux? ;o)

Paul
www.ma1.se

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk