[Gllug] Even more increased airport security announced.

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 20:09:02 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 05:39:54AM +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> I used to make HMTD as a kid (probably get locked up for being a
> "terrierist" if someone did that now).  By the looks of it, it seems
> that TATP is a very similar compound made in almost the same way.

Indeed. I also used to be interested in things that went bang, and I
dread to think what curious schoolkids would be accused of these days.
Imagine a curious schoolkid who happened to be from a Muslim family -
they'd be carted off and locked up somewhere.

> Raw ingredients are easily available -- hexamine tablets, citric acid
> and strong hydrogen peroxide.

Where can you easily get 100 volume peroxide these days? I'm not aware
of anywhere outside a chemical supplier, which makes it a bit harder to
manufacture for Joe average.

> But, tricky to make in an aircraft
> toilet.  You'd need to lock yourself in for several hours, and it
> gives off a very distinctive smell, and you'd need lots of ice water,
> and messy filter papers (it takes several more hours to dry).

Yep - that bit's totally ludicrous to attempt on a flight. And HMTD is a
solid anyway.

> All
> things which the crew would spot.  Even if you succeeded in making it,
> you'd then need to pack it and detonate it -- if not packed and
> completely confined, it just flames rather than exploding.

You don't need to pack HMTD - its burn velocity is sufficiently high
that any loose containment would do. A small medicine bottle with 20
grams or so would more than suffice to put a hole in a plane, and you
wouldn't even need to close the bottle - just drop a match in through
the open top.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk