[Gllug] Creating SWF content on Linux

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Aug 23 23:25:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 11:38:59PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Simon Perry writes:
>
> >Mind you if you are so anti using a Windows machine to create a
> >container/player then why are you considering a proprietary format for
> >distribution over the web ;-p Hell, wouldn't a Java player be a better
> >choice?
>
> Just curious... by what logic is Java any less proprietary than SWF?

There is a whole suite of open source java tools / runtime - not quite
100% coverage of Sun's official J2EE spec, but pretty damn close & good
enough for a large number of Java apps to be 100%  free from their build
tool chain (ANT, ECJ), IDE (Eclipse),  through to their runtime (GNU
ClassPath with a choice of at least 5 open source JVMs), and even a
mozilla plugin (gcjwebplugin). Both Fedora & Debian use a 100% open
source java stack.

Point me to the same end-to-end open source coverage for Flash.

Dan.