[Gllug] ADSL on BT phone wires

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 13 18:04:54 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 09 Aug 2006 10:40, Chris Bell wrote:

>    The ADSL must be tapped off using at least one capacitor, rather than
> just a transformer which would act as a DC short circuit, and I assumed
> that non-electrolytic capacitors would be physically larger but more
> reliable. It then depends on whether the signal polarity really matters,
> and that would require deeper knowledge of the system.
>    The problem occurred on an existing phone line that was upgraded for
> testing connections to AOL, not the main BT ADSL, and is connected via an
> extension. It worked at one end of the extension, not the other end. I was
> not involved, but am suspicious about the explanation given.

You've been fed nonsense from a BT "engineer" that doesn't know a thing about
ADSL (generally they don't - the standard of "training" of the average BT
monkey is laughable these days).

A BT line has approx 48 Volts sitting across it when quiescent - 80 Volts AC
is applied to signal ringing.   A capacitor in the "master" socket (typically
1.8 uF  at 250 Volts) is used to send the ringing (A.C.) voltage to the
bells, bleepers, flashing lights or opto-couplers that signal the arrival of
a call.

When the line is busied, the D.C. voltage drops to about 8 to 10 Volts (a
telephone, answering machine or whatever loads the line with roughly 300
ohms) and the current flow is used at the exchange to show "in use".

Instrument polarity is entirely immaterial - the equipment is designed to be
polarity insensitive, and would fail approval if there was any polarity
sensitivity.   (I used to design telephone equipment for a living!).
However, it is necessary that each of the three wires used at each socket are
connected to the right terminals.  They made it as easy as possible -
terminal 2 connects to all the other terminal 2's, terminal 5 connects to all
terminal 5's, and the same with terminal 3.

You probably had a dodgy IDC connection, but the monkey tried to baffle you
with BS because he has to try and justify he silly amounts the charge for a
call out!

ADSL gear just appears across the line as a high impedance A.C. load / source,
and is capacitively coupled to the line.  Polarity has no effect, and "phase"
is insignificant - the phase shifts down a BT line at the frequencies used
for ADSL will be horrendous, and are compensated for in the PQSK modulation
scheme. At worst they may (marginally) reduce data transmission speed, but
will (in reality) have no noticeable effect, and will be a characteristic of
the twisted pair from your place to the exchange rather than anything in your
home!
Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk