[Gllug] ADSL on BT phone wires

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 13 19:49:47 UTC 2006

On Sun 13 Aug, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> You've been fed nonsense from a BT "engineer" that doesn't know a thing about
> ADSL (generally they don't - the standard of "training" of the average BT
> monkey is laughable these days).

   That entirely backs up what I told the owner of the premises, although I
thought that the ADSL modem might provide a 300 ohm termination at the
higher frequencies. Given more time I could have followed the pair wiring
from the PABX kit via the multipair (perhaps 100 pair) cable to the RJ45
jackfield, but it might have caused more problems if there were other dodgy
IDC links.
   Is the ringer only about 80 volts AC? I thought it used to be 110 volts
17 Hz square wave depending on the exchange hardware. Our standby used to be
the Tele F with hand-crank ringer, later replaced by a battery driven
transistor version which had flat batteries when you really needed them.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk