[Gllug] Browsing WiFi networks on Linux

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Wed Aug 23 10:05:43 UTC 2006

John Winters wrote:
> I've just been experimenting with setting up wireless networking on a
> couple of Linux boxes.  It seems fairly straightforward, but I miss one
> facility from Windows.  There one can browse available WiFi networks and
> choose which one to connect to, but I haven't yet found an equivalent in
> Linux.  Is there such an application?
>
> TIA,
> John

I tend to use "iwlist scan" to display a list of available networks and
their parameters (e.g. Channel, Mode) but I make all the settings using
system-config-network in Gnome, although I believe you can use the
iwconfig command to configure all your wireless settings.

--
Chris Mocock
Systems Engineer

T: +44 (0)20 8756 5456