[Gllug] Browsing WiFi networks on Linux

Tom Haddon mthaddon at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 10:14:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 11:05 +0100, Christopher Mocock wrote:
> John Winters wrote:
> > I've just been experimenting with setting up wireless networking on a
> > couple of Linux boxes.  It seems fairly straightforward, but I miss one
> > facility from Windows.  There one can browse available WiFi networks and
> > choose which one to connect to, but I haven't yet found an equivalent in
> > Linux.  Is there such an application?
> >
> > TIA,
> > John
> >

> I tend to use "iwlist scan" to display a list of available networks and
> their parameters (e.g. Channel, Mode) but I make all the settings using
> system-config-network in Gnome, although I believe you can use the
> iwconfig command to configure all your wireless settings.

There's also Network Manager (depending on if your wireless card
supports the features...):

http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/

> --
> Chris Mocock
> Systems Engineer
> Wavelet Technology Ltd.
>
> T: +44 (0)20 8756 5456
> F: +44 (0)87 0139 3900

"And, of course, you have the commercials where savvy businesspeople Get Ahead
by using their MacIntosh computers to create the ultimate American business
product: a really sharp-looking report."
		-- Dave Barry

Random quotes brought to you by fortune.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk