[Gllug] How to emulate a scroll wheel on a laptop nipple or touchpad?

Julian Somers lists at bigpip.com
Mon Aug 7 15:41:22 UTC 2006

On 14:12 Mon 07 Aug     , M.Blackmore wrote:
> Anyone any thoughts on how one can emulate a scroll wheel on a laptop
> (Dell 8200 Inspiron) which has a touchpad and a nipple?
>
> I've got back injuries and my sig other has got herself some mild RSI
> and we really miss this facility when using the laptop on the lap, so to
> speak, as moving everything to the window scroll bar can put quite a lot
> of tension into the arms, shoulder and hand.
>
> Unless I'm being thick and missing something obvious...

pagedown / pageup?

For desktops, I highly recommend the RollerMouse Pro
(http://www.contourdesign.com/rollermouse/). It's a big improvement on
the mousetrapper (http://www.mousetrapper.co.uk/) I have been using for
years; I especially like the double-click and click-lock buttons.

It's no good for laptops, mainly because the distance between the front
edge of the laptop and the keys means you have to keep moving your arms
to get to the roller bar, which defeats the object. (At least, it's no
good with my ibook; it might be OK with something like one of those
really chunky old thinkpads.)

Have you tried a trackball?

Julian

> --