[Gllug] Internet fraud reporting

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Aug 4 13:31:44 UTC 2006

Talking about illegality and the internet ...

One of the websites I run which runs classified ads recently got hit
by a suspected scammer who is offering to arrange language school
places in Britain, but predictably has taken the money and run off.
The language schools he was supposed to arrange with have no record of
anything.  Two people got hit by the scam, for not inconsiderable sums
of money (about 2 grand each).

Although this is not strictly my problem -- we took down the advert
as soon as we were notified, and traced the advertiser as far
as an anonymous BT DSL line -- it's tricky for the people involved
to follow up because they're poor students living abroad.

Should I get involved in reporting this, and if so, to whom?  Local
police?  London police (where the crime actually occurred)?  SOCA?
The police's website is confusing and it looks like they won't take
internet fraud too seriously.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.