[Gllug] Radeon 7000

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Sun Aug 20 08:36:59 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 23:45 +0100, Matthew Joseph Smith wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone know anything about the Radeon 7000 graphics card?  I've
> ordered one (a Sapphire) from PC World to pick up tomorrow.  I'm not
> into gaming; I've just ebayed myself a P3 with an unsuitable Intel
> onboard chipset (815 series) which won't support 1280x1024 at 24-bit
> depth, which my monitor will, so I need a PCI graphics card as the
> machine doesn't have an AGP slot.  Does anyone have any advice?

I ran one quite happily for several years on different distros - it Just
Works with the 'ati' driver. ATI's proprietary drivers don't support it,
but the free ones will drive direct rendering, although I couldn't get
mine to do so with a high frame rate.

I did have an issue with my card when I switched to using the DVI output
on mine, plugged into a flat panel - it would blank the screen for a
fraction of a second at random intervals. I don't know anything about
graphic cards or DVI so couldn't guess whether it was the card, the chip
or the drivers. Googling for people with the same problem drew a blank
though so I guess it was probably my card.

There's not really a lot to say about the Radeon 7000 with Linux - it
works!

Cheers,

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."