[Gllug] ADSL on BT phone wires

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 9 21:36:32 UTC 2006

On Wed 09 Aug, t.clarke wrote:

> ps:  I am no electrician,   but would I be right is assuming something
> as simple as 4 diodes in a full-wave rectifier pattern on the input of the
> modem would be all that is required to ensure polarity-insensitivity ?
> (pure curiosity)

   I would expect the demultiplexer to use digital filtering to separate the
various channels, followed by exact phase locking to recover the maximum
data. It is the precise shape of the waveform, and timing of changes, that
carries the data, rather than the overall polarity. The absolute polarity is
associated with a single binary bit of data just once, and that would hardly
be noticed during setup.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk