[Gllug] Dedicated servers

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Aug 17 00:22:34 UTC 2006

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> This is something of a hardy perennial, but what would people recommend
> for a really cheap (cheapness is more important than 99.99% reliability)
> dedicated server. Doesn't have to be in the UK but has to be Linux
> (preferrably Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora at worst).

since people are posting about hosting setup's - thought I'd jump in and
join the fray

I have 3 machines hosted at the moment...

1 with layeredtech.com - who have been excellent in terms of service,
I've had a total of 38 seconds of network downtime in the last 2 years
that my primary machine has been on their network ( I average about 400
- 450 gb/month on that machine )

1 with dedibox.fr - had this for 2 months, very nice - knowing a bit of
french helps - but is not required, all their tech support and
commercial support people speak english just fine. And they have a very
quick network. I am doing about 180 - 200 gb/month from that box. their
network is very quick and well peer'ed into .eu - for some reason i get
> 100ms to the US though - so if thats important for you.... it might
get tricky getting money to them though :)

1 with hetzner.de - again, everyone there speaks English just fine, the
service is very good - and they are the largest hosting company ( larger
than 1&1, i am told, in .de ) I do about 50 - 80 gb/month from that
machine. did have a 8 hr blackout a few months back, which was *maybe*
not their fault. someone upstream lost routing somewhere.

I dont host in the UK - Bandwidth costs in this country are just stupid.
If someone can give me a rational price for the sort of b/w i have
mentioned above, I'd love to either colo or lease a box locally.

also, when it comes to support - if you are managing your own machine,
you dont really need anything more than remote reboot's and if some
hardware breaks to replace the hardware.

PS: on a side note, the amount of info available on this list is
excellent - would be really cool if some of this was going to make it
into a wiki or something..

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk