[Gllug] Dedicated servers

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 20:44:08 UTC 2006

On Wed 16 Aug, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> This is something of a hardy perennial, but what would people recommend
> for a really cheap (cheapness is more important than 99.99% reliability)
> dedicated server. Doesn't have to be in the UK but has to be Linux
> (preferrably Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora at worst).
>
> I have used Mythic Beasts (http://www.mythic-beasts.com/macmini.html) in
> the past and have no complaints (and for avoidance of doubt I am not
> suggesting they are cheap but unreliable) but wonder if I can get the
> price lower.

   There is very little profit to be made from building boxes unless there
is a quick sale and a premium rate for something slightly non-standard. I
can get a wide range of components at trade prices, and assembly does not
take long, but there are too many options to be able to build all
permutations and combinations to just sit on the shelf in the hope that each
one will be just right for a customer as soon as it is built. The trade
price of each component will vary almost by the minute, and each is likely
to be made obsolete, and no longer the latest "must have", at any time as
new equipment is announced.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk