[Gllug] OT - Windows backup problem.

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 07:52:12 UTC 2006

"paul at ma1.se" <paul at ma1.se> wrote:-

> I too don't have a working Windows install to hand (well only XP home
> which has no backup facility).
>
> Could you split the Windows backup in order to avoid the 4GB limit? I
> don't think you have to backup the whole drive at once, or failing that
> can you convert the filesystem to NTFS?

Thanks to all who helped by responding. I didn't know about the
4Gb file size limit, and I now realise I should have asked myself
whether there was such a limit - however the error message talked
of a 'fixed media disk', so I never thought 'file'.

The backup at the moment is about 5Gb, so I shall try splitting
to 3Gb as file 'Aa' and the remainder as file 'Bb'. Not sure how
she will restore things until I've delved deeper into backup
options generally. Updating the backup might also be a problem.
The backup will be on a separate physical disk on the same machine.
Knoppix perhaps can allow access to essential data needed immediately.

I'm grateful to Jack Bertram, John Levin, Adrian McMenamin and
Paul (at mal.se).

John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk