[Gllug] OT - Windows backup problem.

unixadmin99 unixadmin99 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 09:26:17 UTC 2006

> Thanks to all who helped by responding. I didn't know about the
> 4Gb file size limit, and I now realise I should have asked myself
> whether there was such a limit - however the error message talked
> of a 'fixed media disk', so I never thought 'file'.
>
> The backup at the moment is about 5Gb, so I shall try splitting
> to 3Gb as file 'Aa' and the remainder as file 'Bb'. Not sure how
> she will restore things until I've delved deeper into backup
> options generally. Updating the backup might also be a problem.
> The backup will be on a separate physical disk on the same machine.
> Knoppix perhaps can allow access to essential data needed immediately.
Hi John,

Another option, if you have another UNIX/Linux box around, is to
install samba and share part of the disk. On your Windows computer
you'll then right click "My Documents" and change the target location
to the shared folder on the UNIX/Linux box. All data you put into "My
Documents" will now be stored across the network to the samba share.
You can then set a cron job to rsync that data elsewhere for safer
keeping.

--
~michael
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk