[Gllug] Persuading Etch to use the right (configured) paper size

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 19:45:14 UTC 2006

On 06/08/06, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> Nix wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006, John Winters uttered the following:
> >> If I choose the "CUPS/" ones then the paper size always defaults to
> >> "Letter" instead of the configured "A4" and I have to remember to change
> >> it before I hit print.
> >>
> >> Other applications which use the pure Gnome print dialogue (e.g.
> >> Evolution or the PDF viewer) list the printers only once, but still
> >> default to Letter size paper.
> >>
> >> Anyone any idea where this bad setting is stored?  Or indeed, what
> >> package is responsible for this component so I can report it as a bug in
> >> Etch?
> >
> > For CUPS, it's saved *in the PPD files*. (Yes, this is somewhat barmy,
> > but then CUPS already contains PPD parsers and generators, so why not?)
> >
> > The CUPS web interface (at least as of CUPS 1.2) lets you adjust this;
> > however, this changed a lot in 1.2, and I can't remember how you do it
> > in 1.1 :(
>
> The problem isn't CUPS - CUPS has the printers configured correctly and
> clients running on Sarge get the paper size right.
>
> The problem is that Gnome-based clients running on Etch workstations
> seem to ignore the CUPS-configured paper size, and the paper size set in
> /etc/papersize, and use Letter instead.  It's irritating.
>
> John

Yes Firefox and Thunderbird do it too....
In the end I discovered that XPrt that's got the problem Letter seams
to be part of the US locale under Xprt so might be worth reading the
XPrint docs.
I'm still not sure I've got it right, I ended up editing the settings
inside FireFox to A4 so I know I haven't got a permeate fix, If you do
find one I'd love to hear it.

Peter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk