[Gllug] ADSL on BT phone wires

Ryland, Peter peter.ryland at squaregain.co.uk
Thu Aug 17 10:58:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 10:23 +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>    That depends on local conditions. Phone users with a party line often had
> to rush outside and pour water over the BT earth spike to get their phone to
> work. Water is not retained on sandy or rocky ground, and the water table
> may be a long way below the surface, giving high resistance except just
> after rain.

That's more to do with the effectiveness of the connection to ground
rather than the distance to the exchange though.  Get a bigger/deeper
ground spike.

>    Every time we worked on location we had to ensure that there was an
> adequate earth spike, for both electrical mains and lightning safety
> protection. We had a limited length of heavy earth cable, and often the only
> choices when we were parked on concrete or tarmac were to drop it down a
> drainage gulley (it conducts well as far as the U-bend) or place it under
> the lorry wheel (pretty useless, but it looks good).
>    We always had an earth to the power supply, but on one occasion that was
> a hired 1 Megawatt generator that had been used for 110 volt lighting power.
> We had been connected across the 240 volts output, but the generator chassis
> and earth spike were still connected to the centre tap. Nothing went bang
> because the vehicles were parked about 50 yards apart, but people were
> complaining about tingles as they grabbed door handles.

Interesting; if I get this straight, you had this arrangement then?

+-----+
|     |
O~    |
|     Z load
+---+ Z
|   | |
O~  = |
|     |
+-----+

Pete

This communication is confidential and is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you are not that person you are not permitted to make use of
the information and you are requested to notify
postmaster at squaregain.co.uk immediately that you have
received it and then destroy the copy in your possession.
Squaregain Ltd is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority and is a member of the LSE.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk