[Gllug] ADSL on BT phone wires

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 17 23:51:09 UTC 2006

On Thu 17 Aug, Ryland, Peter wrote:

> >    We always had an earth to the power supply, but on one occasion that was
> > a hired 1 Megawatt generator that had been used for 110 volt lighting power.
> > We had been connected across the 240 volts output, but the generator chassis
> > and earth spike were still connected to the centre tap. Nothing went bang
> > because the vehicles were parked about 50 yards apart, but people were
> > complaining about tingles as they grabbed door handles.
>
> Interesting; if I get this straight, you had this arrangement then?
>
> +-----+
> |     |
> O~    |
> |     Z load
> +---+ Z
> |   | |
> O~  = |
> |     |
> +-----+
>
> Pete

   We always ran a test from our lorry to test the earth loop impedance,
this showed OK, so the cable given to us as Neutral was securely tied to the
one labelled Earth. This made our chassis and earth spike about 120 volts
away from the chassis and earth spike of the generator. From memory we were
using 3 x 63 amp LNE cables at the time, with any mix of phases, with a
normal total running load of about 120 amps (we used to have 2 x 100 amp LNE
cables). We have had anything up to about 16 x 1000 amp (quarter megawatt)
generators by the time you add lighting power.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk