[Gllug] free vintage RISC workstation

Vomvoridis L Mr (PG/T Computing) csm1lv at surrey.ac.uk
Mon Aug 21 03:07:17 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have a HP PA-RISC workstation that I'm giving away, because of a space
shortage. If you want a taste of the look & feel of a real oldskool Unix
workstation, or want to play with non-intel architectures with limited
resources (good practice for embedded systems) please read on.

Here are the specs:
CPU: HP Bushmaster 710, 50MHz
RAM: 4x8Mb dual-parity, 4 empty slots (72pin ECC DRAM)
HDD: 2x400Mb SCSI internal (one of them might be "off")
LAN: 10Mbit (BNC/AUI)
CDR: Yamaha external SCSI 4x write speed (cde100ii)
Keyboard, mouse, monitor

The machine is in the "vintage" category, probably cost tens of thousands
of pounds back in 1991...

To compensate for the (possible) loss of 1 hdd, I'm giving away all the
necessary cables (1 50pin SCSI ext. and 3 power) as well as the AUI/UTP
transceiver.

The monitor is massive, 21" or so, 1280x1024 fixed-sync (sync-on-green)
I made a circuit to convert the VGA signal to sync-on-green, so you
can use the monitor with X (with a custom modeline) on your PC !!!
I'm giving the circuit away too, along with a 5VDC adapter to drive it.

The disk now has debian-hppa sarge with a vanilla 2.6.16 kernel, I've
kept the old HPUX image (dd if=/dev/sda | bzip2 --best) which I can burn
on a cd, or put it back on the disk so you can have the added pleasure of
installing Linux yourself ;)

The machine was on active duty for a few months, serving as the campus
filesharing hub (aquila) and also as a personal general-purpose server
(like cvsd, cupsd, sendmail etc) and I used the monitor as DISPLAY :0.1
to complement my laptop (which is what I'll miss the most...)

I'm in Guildford, but would rather drive a short distance than let this
machine rot who knows where. If anyone is interested, please reply
off-list.

Cheers,
Leo
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk