[Gllug] 3gp players/encoders for nix

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 23:34:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> I have some videos from my phone that I'd like to muck about with on
> my Linux box - mplayer doesn't seem to want to play the audio and
> mencoder and ffmpeg don't want to convert it to something useful.
> (Video is fine however).
>
> Has anybody else had this problem and found a solution?

Your phone is probably creating 3gp files with AMR narrow band audio
and h264 or h263+ video.  I suspect tcprobe, xine, vlc or mplayer
might say when you try to play.

When you're compiling the latest cvs release of ffmpeg check the amr.h
file, near the top it explains where to get the source (it's not
"F"ree or something, I dunno).

Once downloaded and installed in the right place ffmpeg will then be
able to transcode amr to other formats.  The ffplay binary will be
able to directly play the videos to screen.

I found older versions a tad unreliable for framerates when amr
worked, so for a while used realplay under vsound, to dump the audio
to a file, then ffmpeg without the amr code to encode video at the
correct rate and remuxed them back to a format like DV for editing.

Damion

Damion Yates - damion.yates at gmail.com
mobile: +44 (0) 7801 741582
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk