[Gllug] ADSL MAX upgrade

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 15 08:23:03 UTC 2006

Hello,
   I purchased a secondhand ADSL modem early in 2002, and have had very few
problems with the connection. I was due to be upgraded to ADSL MAX in mid
September, and the guestimate was up to 5.5MBits per second, but the process
was started last Friday morning.
   I am just over 1 mile from the exchange, and my modem is showing a solid
7616Kbps downstream, 448Kbps upstream.
   I am now testing a new modem from HiPoint, specified as ready for ADSL,
ADSL MAX, and ADSL2. It has a four port switch, wireless, firewall, etc. It
immediately synchronised at 448/8128.
   It is showing me stats that I did not get from my old modem:

Modem Status

US                  448  Kbps
DS                  8128 Kbps
US Margin           26
DS Margin           11
Trained Modulation  GDMT
LOS Errors          0
DS Line Attenuation 36
US Line Attenuation 18
Peak Call Rate      1056 calls per sec
CRC Rx Fast         0
CRC Tx Fast         0
CRC Rx Interleaved  0
CRC Tx Interleaved  1
Path Mode           Interleaved

DSL Statistics

Near End F4 Loop Back Count  0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count  0

   For those who are interested, I am using the replacement half front style
of filter on the BT main termination, with the modem close to the
termination.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk