[Gllug] Need to add company reg to web pages and emails?

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Thu Dec 21 21:18:31 UTC 2006

In message <20061221171145.GA15906 at furbychan.cocan.org>, Richard Jones
<rich at annexia.org> writes
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/21/new_web_email_regulation/
>
>Is this for real?

Ten years ago my company lawyer advised me that the law probably
required all formal company communications, specifically including
emails, l to have the usual registered office details. He said that it
wasn't being enforced for email even though that's what the law
required. It now looks as if it is going to be.

Recently it's been established that emails can be legal documents so
rather than risk problems I expect most companies will add a new footer
to all of their mails. Any mailing list infested with top-posters is
going to get unbearable.

Of course it does mean that any spammer based in the UK will be breaking
the law if they don't include their real registered office address. I
think that's probably the main reason for doing this. I'm in two minds
whether that's worth the cost of requiring everyone else to do it.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com