[Gllug] [OT] Asking to be spammed?

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Dec 21 19:39:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 05:12:32PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 03:36:23PM +0000, John G Walker wrote:
> > I'm using bogofilter, which seems to be working marvellously. It's
> > catching 87% of all spam on my main account and 99% on a less-used one
> > - no false positives on either. I should be able to tighten up the
> > criteria and get a better result on my main account as soon as I have
> > time to think about things,
>
> Thanks.  I'm hearing a lot of positive stuff about bogofilter.

Bogofilter has very low false positives - but at the cost of letting
through more spam than other filters. I'm currently implementing the
scheme desribed at http://acme.com/mail_filtering/bayesian_frameset.html
which sets up procmail to run  QSF, BMF and BogoFilter on every mail
and mark as spam if all 3 agree. Also auto-training the filters if all
3 give the 100% spam rating, which helps bogofilter keep the false
negatives lower than it would on its own. After a little training its
working very well - certainly much better than spamassassin and at a
fraction the CPU overhead.

Regards,
Dan.