[Gllug] [OT] Asking to be spammed?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 11:59:32 UTC 2006

On Thu 21 Dec, John G Walker wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:54:19 +0000 (GMT) Chris Bell
> <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >    I receive very little junk, perhaps because ALL junk received here
> > is reported to the relevant ISP and BCCd to an information exchange
> > as well as being appended to a junk file.
>
> How do you know what the relevant ISP is, given that spammers use all
> kinds of tricks to hide their identities?

   My ISP, Demon, always identifies and includes the IP address of the
sender in the header, which I use for a whois lookup. It is rare to find the
actual email address through the WHOIS search, just the details of the ISP.
   Sometimes the sending address is obviously something like MSN, but they
will identify and deal with the sender. It is important to include all the
header in the report, with the recorded times.

--
Chris Bell